Tip Portugal Spain
on 15 June 2018
Portugal takes on Spain their first World Cup game later this week and the reigning European Champions will be looking to start the campaign with a morale boosting win. In theory, Spain are the better side but after their showing in the Euros, teams will be confident of getting a result against them. Portugal are lacking in defence, but they have quite a few talented attackers in Bernardo Silva, Goncalo Guedes and Cristiano Ronaldo. The Portuguese trio are good enough to cause problems for most defences in the competition and Spain will need to be very careful. Meanwhile, Lopetegui's men are in good form heading into this game and they will have a point to prove. Spain are one of the teams expected to win the tournament and a win over rivals Portugal will send out the right statement.
Our bet explained
- Spain head into this game on the back of nine wins and a draw in ten qualifying games.
- La Furia Roja won 18, drew 12 and lost only 6 of 36 matches against Portugal.
- Portugal have won their last 9 matches (FIFA World Cup).
- Spain have kept a clean sheet in 6 of their last 8 matches (FIFA World Cup).
- Portugal have kept a clean sheet in 5 of their last 6 matches (FIFA World Cup).
Our Portugal Spain tip
Both teams are capable of getting a result here and this should be a fascinating tactical contest. They are likely to cancel each other out in the end and a draw is very much on the cards here. The two sides are likely to share the spoils in their opening game this week.